About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Donation Day!

Today is the big day! After a week of injections and inconvenient side effects, this morning I will go to the hospital and complete the bone marrow cells. I'm excited because I know that I will be donating something that has the potential of making a true difference in the life of another family. Hopefully I am providing an ingredient that, when used properly and with a lot of luck, might help to make somebody healthy.

In a few hours I will be in the hospital and my marrow will be "harvested." I've been warned that the procedure can take up to ten hours, so I should bring a book. Unfortunately, the injections have made it nearly impossible for me to concentrate long enough to read a novel. Perhaps I should take one of Robby's Dr. Seuss books instead! 

Regardless of the side effects and the length of the procedure, I am honored to be able to do this for somebody. I may never know the recipient, but I am hopeful that they will contact me when the required one year of anonymity is over. Even if I am never able to look the recipient in the eyes or give them a hug, I hope they know that I tried to produce the strongest cells possible, and I wish them a speedy and complete recovery. It is odd to feel heavily invested in the life of somebody whom I do not know! 

On another note, I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the recent situation concerning Oscar Pistorius. Scott woke me up at 4 AM yesterday with the news of the shooting and the subsequent arrest. I was dumbstruck, and it took his repeating the news twice before I was able to fully comprehend what had happened. My heart breaks for the young life that was so tragically cut short, and I ache for her family and friends.

Until all of the facts are known, I am going to refrain from passing judgment. We live in a society which is quick to jump to conclusions. I do not wear celebrity blinders, but I am not going to contribute to the rumor mongers until the facts come to light.

No comments:

Post a Comment