About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, April 02, 2018

No. Big. Bunny.

Compared to the hustle and bustle of other holidays, Easter has always been laid back. This year we didn't entertain or travel. Instead we stayed home, played outside and enjoyed a quiet dinner. With the exception of the morning excitement, courtesy of the Easter Bunny, our holiday felt like a normal Sunday. After a busy few days visiting with the Cousin Crew and my Mom, relaxed and quiet was just what we needed.

Timmy was not delighted with the prospect of the Easter Bunny visiting his house. Robby and I took him to the mall to visit the big rabbit on Saturday. I suspected that he wasn't going to be thrilled with sitting on his lap, but I didn't expect him to plant his feet and to begin screaming when he spied the Bunny perched on his throne from across the mall. It took several lollipops and his big brother sitting next to him for Timmy to agree to pose for a photo. He jumped off as soon as possible, refusing to look back as he pulled us out of the mall.  

Before tucking Timmy into bed on Saturday I took him outside to plant jellybeans.  He was ecstatic to be playing in dirt (again) happily planted a handful of beans in our front flower pots. As he was covering up the final bean I told him that they would grow into something special when the Easter Bunny visited. "No bunny" he said emphatically.  

"Yes Timmy. The Easter Bunny is going to visit our house tonight and leave treats. We are planting these jellybeans because Easter Magic will make them grow into lollipops." I thought that the lure of a lollipop might be enough to quell his fears of the Bunny, but I was wrong. Instead of agreeing, he frantically began to dig in the dirt with his hands to retrieve the beans. He then threw them into the yard with all his strength.

We went inside and I washed his hands before going to bed.  As I was tucking him into his little train bed, I kissed his forehead and said goodnight. Before I left he sat up, clutched the front of my shirt and pulled me down to his level. Staring me in the eye, he firmly and clearly said, "No Big Bunny!"  At that moment we decided to let go of the Easter Bunny. 

Timmy and Robby woke up to discover baskets of Easter treats, but we never mentioned the delivery method. I didn't want to traumatize Timmy by taunting him with the Easter Bunny. Maybe next year he will enjoy the traditions, but this year he certainly wasn't having any of it!



No comments:

Post a Comment