About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 09, 2018

Fumes or Fire

Just a few days ago I was lounging by the pool in the Florida sunshine. I felt relaxed and was experiencing no anxiety. My goodness that didn't last long!

I wish that the vacation vibe could last all year, but I suppose then it wouldn't be special. Feeling relaxed reminded me that I need to do a better job taking care of myself. Like so many women in this country, and probably around the world, I tend to take care of everybody else first. Timmy, Robby, Scott and my professional demands always take priority. Somehow, I had managed to convince myself that my needs were more whim than necessary.

Feeling completely relaxed and stress-free, I realized that I need to put myself higher on the priority hierarchy. I am a better person when I feel strong and healthy. When I'm worn down, everybody is only benefiting from my fumes instead of from my full fire.  

Of course realizing that I need to prioritize myself and actually doing it are two completely separate things. A huge lifestyle large lifestyle change will only stress me out, completely defeating the purpose. Instead I have decided to introduce one small habit into my routine. If successful, I'll add another in a few weeks. Hopefully these incremental changes will add up over time.  

I've decided that I am going to start by reintroducing meditation into my life. I was in the habit of meditating each evening and I felt that the practice was helping me center. When the boys became ill with the flu I became too tired to meditate. Slowly I just lost track of the habit and my meditation app hasn't been opened in months.  

Here's to reclaiming part of vacation Peggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment