About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, August 06, 2018

Headed Home

On Friday night I was able to redeem myself by participating in the Turtle Trek with Robby. Last summer I didn't feel physically strong enough to join Robby on the trek so I offered my spot to Scott. Although I know it was the right decision for me at the time, I have used my bailing as motivation to become more active and healthier. After a year of work, I finally had my redemption.  

Not only was I was able to hit the beach to watch the turtles hatching, but I was led through the experience by Robby. I know that I'm biased, but he did a fantastic time. I am in awe of the confidence that he demonstrated on the beach, leading me through the nests and explaining everything that I was seeing. He helped to pick up the little hatchlings when they went towards the city instead of the ocean. It was wonderful to witness my son in his element.  

On Saturday we picked him up from his Internship. He was physically exhausted but radiated excitement when recounting his experiences. The highlights were learning to handle the turtles, excavating a nest after it hatched and witnessing two turtles nest on the beach. He created memories for many lifetimes during the past week, and I'm sure that more stories will come out as the days go by.  

Robby and Scott went on one final fishing trip on Saturday night while I stayed in the room with Timmy. As soon as Hamlet fell asleep I began the dreaded chore of packing up to go home. We had such a great time away that it is hard to return to reality.  Alas, all good things must come to an end. Today we are heading to the airport in the wee hours of the morning to return home. We had a wonderful vacation, but I think we will all be happy to be home.










No comments:

Post a Comment