About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 04, 2019

Graduation Advice

It seems like every time I log onto social media I am seeing graduation pictures. I love seeing the happy faces, optimistic with the glow of future potential mixed with the satisfaction of completing a goal. I always end up reflecting upon my own graduations, reliving my own experiences through the photos on my screen.

During my long sleepless nights, I can't help but think about everything that I didn't know when I graduated from both high school and college. Honestly, I want to facepalm and hide when I think about my youthful arrogance. My only solace is that I see many of my own mistakes playing out in the next generation.   I am lead to believe that perhaps the feelings of youthful superiority and of being indispensable are universal among those who are in their late teens and early 20's. 

Graduation season is filled with well-meaning advice. From celebrity commencement speeches to those from uber-talented students, reflections on growth and the optimism of potential are overflowing my social feeds. I can't help but smile when I realize that the same well-intended advice was lauded upon me as well. (Of course, I didn't heed the warnings because I was young and knew better.)

Inspired by graduation season, this week Dave and I recorded a podcast with the theme of post-graduation advice.  This was a fun episode to record.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment