About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Phantom Ankle

This morning I'm hobbling around on what feels like a turned ankle, which is especially frustrating because the ankle joint is gone. Phantom sensations and pain is weird! Unfortunately, the pain decided to make another unwelcome visit in the middle of the night and seems to have settled in for the day.

This bout of phantom pain is especially frustrating because of its presence during the day. Usually the pain haunts me at night but dissipates almost as soon as I slip on my prosthesis and begin to walk. Today, the pain only intensifies with my prosthesis. 

I have my leg off and my limb wrapped with both compression bands and ice packs. I'm hoping I can either squeeze or freeze the nerve endings into submission. Staying off my leg is not an option, so I'm really hoping that this works.  

Most of the time I don't give my amputation much thought. Living with a prosthesis has become such a part of my life and my routine that it no longer has a great impact on my daily activities. However, sometimes being an amputee is miserable. This morning is one of those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment