About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, October 05, 2020

No Doughnut for Us

 We had a great weekend visiting with my Mom. Robby and Timmy were particularly excited to hang out with Tiffany. Although we didn't do anything grand, the kids had fun playing around the house and riding their bikes and scooters up and down the road. Sometimes, time with family is all that is needed to heal and regroup.

Although we avoided going out on adventures, a trip to the doughnut shop on Saturday night turned into an memory. It was around 8 pm when the kids asked if we could pick up doughnuts in anticipation of game night. Never one to say no to a doughnut, I grabbed my keys and we headed towards the 24 hour doughnut shop.

As we expected, the lobby was empty when we arrived. (A sight which I found pleasing because I like to avoid crowds during a pandemic.) Masked and ready to order, we were all taken aback when the clerk was not wearing face protection. It took me a few minutes to formulate my thoughts, but before I paid I inquired about her lack of a face covering.

She smugly smiled and said, "My boss says masks are optional and a choice. He says they aren't necessary for employees so we don't have to wear them." She began to put the tape on our box when I made my decision.

I remained even toned, but I said, "We've changed our minds. I don't feel safe being served doughnuts by somebody who is unmasked during an active pandemic.  Shame on your boss for promoting infection terrorism." 

I turned around, and we walked out. My niece, who turned back as we were leaving, said she saw the clerk throw the doughnuts down before rolling her eyes and storming to the back room. It was so socially irresponsible for a doughnut business to ignore mask regulations. Shame on them! I won't be back to Maple Doughnuts in Etters. If they actively disregard mask protocols, I can't help but wander what other regulations they ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment