About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, December 28, 2020

Christmas!

I've always loved the holidays, and my joy has only intensified after having kids. The only thing better than experiencing Christmas morning is watching the excitement and magic unfold in front of your kids. Although Robby is no longer a believer in all of the magic of Christmas, he continues to play along with all of our traditions.  

Like everything else this year, Christmas felt different. I was approaching the holiday with both excitement and dread. I was looking forward to witnessing the joy and excitement of my kids, but I was longing for our traditions and connections with family and friends. 

Refusing to allow a pandemic to keep her from her Christmas Eve tradition, my Mom took a Covid test which verified that she was negative before traveling to visit us.  I think Timmy was more excited that his Nana was visiting than he was Santa. He eagerly sat by the window all day on Christmas Eve, patiently (and sometimes impatiently) waiting for her to arrive. When she finally pulled into the driveway he bolted out of the house to greet her with a squeal and a hug.

In a year that has felt awkward and abnormal, it was wonderful having my Mom here for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. I loved watching her play with the boys and snuggle with Timmy before falling asleep with him on Christmas Eve. (Per tradition, she slept in his room to keep him from peeking.)

Christmas morning was a flurry of torn paper and excited exclamations. Both boys seemed delighted with their haul. I guess they were both especially good this year because they both received their declared wishes. Robby spent the rest of the day setting up his new laptop while Timmy happily walked and played on his new treadmill. (A strange request for a six year old, but he was consistent in his request.)

My Mom left after Christmas dinner, leaving the house feeling both quiet and content. Timmy sobbed for almost two hours, sad that his Nana left and repeating, "It is hard to say goodbye." I'm hoping that the vaccine rolls out quickly, because I don't want as much time to lapse between visits.  

I hope that everybody had a wonderful Christmas, filled with joy and new memories. 











 


No comments:

Post a Comment