About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, April 12, 2021

Iron Curtain

My teen who typically hates getting up early and is grump before 11 woke up at 8, and smiling from ear to ear when he met me in the kitchen on Friday. After a three week hiatus, his enrichment classes were resuming. My goodness he has missed his friends. Although they have remained connected through VR chat and text messages, nothing can replace the in-person experience. 

I love witnessing his enthusiasm for his classes and his friends. We spent the drive to school reviewing his classes and working out a plan for Russian domination. On his last class before break, Robby was elected as the head of the KGB in his Cold War Role Play game. He spent the break researching his options and developing a plan to spread the propaganda across the globe. 

I'm sure that our dinner conversations would sound odd if other people were listening. (Thankfully, we are still social distancing so there was no risk of eavesdropping.) Talking about snuffing out the CIA and expanding the iron curtain have monopolized our conversations during break. I never thought that we would be rooting for communism, but here I am, living the dream.  

Before the emails start flying towards me, we had no control over which side of the conflict was assigned to Robby's class. The luck of the draw assigned the Russians to Robby's section and the Americans were assigned to the virtual class. The two sections compete against each other in a game of strategy and espionage, using the Cold War as the backdrop for the experience.

His weeks of strategizing paid off. When I picked up Robby from class Friday afternoon, he almost ran to the car. He recounted the successes of the messages and his strategies for the remainder of the drive. I love seeing this kiddo so happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment