About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 11, 2022

Honoring a Friend

Yesterday I received news that I had been dreading even though I knew it was coming. An amazing woman has been battling cancer for nearly 10 years. Jami was such a warrior and had overcome so much in her life. It was impossible to imagine that the diagnosis would be fatal. After a brave and graceful battle, Jami quietly passed away yesterday. 

I met Jami nearly 15 years ago when I attended my first amputee conference. She was such a bright spirit, smiling and introducing herself to everybody. She had a way of relating to everybody. She was one of those people who lit up a room and was able to carry a conversation with anybody. 

Jami lost her legs when she was a teenager. She was stranded in her car during a snowstorm for several days, surviving on melted snow and the remnants of french fries that had fallen between the seats. After nearly a week and realizing that a rescue was not coming, she bravely walked into the snow to find help. She saved her life and the life of her friend, but she lost both legs to frostbite. 

She recovered and became a world-class runner. She was one of the first amputees featured in a mainstream advertising campaign (Adidas) and she fought to normalize disability with every opportunity. Jami became a mother and a kindergarten teacher but she always had time to help a new amputee. 

I am heartbroken that Jami is gone. She was so incredibly strong and stoic. The world was a better place because she was in it. I am a better person because I was fortunate enough to call her a friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment