About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Suddenly 16

I am not sure when it happened, but my sweet little Koopa- my Robby Rotten- turned 16 years old. I know it is cliche, but he really did grow up in a blink. With Robby turning 16, Scott and I enter a new stage of parenting as we introduce driving into the equation. I am not sure I will ever be prepared to see Robby behind a steering wheel, but I know that he is excited about the new adventure.

Looking at Robby, I know that the world sees a "man-teen" at nearly 6 feet tall and the ability to grow a full mustache and beard. In my eyes he is still the little boy pushing trains across the living room floor. I suppose that this disconnect between the brain and the heart impacts every parent as their child grows wings. It is hard watching him leave childhood, but getting the know the gentleman who is slowly emerging has been amazing.

Physically, there is no doubt that Robby has changed over the years. In terms of his personality, he has remained fairly consistent. He remains that sweet little boy who is always quick to help somebody else. He hates bullies with a passion and confronts them with a confident swagger. He is skilled at enlarging his friend circle to include whoever wants to join. 

Robby loves animals and continues to spend hours cuddling Charlie Cat. He complains when we ask him to help around the house, but he is the first to jump up (unsolicited) to lend his Nana a hand. He is funny and smart. He is interesting and complex. He is kind and empathetic.

He makes me proud every single day.  Happy Birthday Robby!


No comments:

Post a Comment