About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, December 29, 2022

2022- A Year of Change and Adventure

Slowly but surely, my home is being transitioned from a winter wonderland back to our norm. Decorations are being boxed and stacked to be stowed over the weekend. The tree will be packed up over New Year, and then we will be ready to tackle 2023. Well, I'm not sure we will be ready for the New Year, but at least the house will be uncluttered and clean for the fresh start.

2022 was a year full of change and adventures. 

Timmy started a new school which required adjustments from everybody in the family, especially him. It was hard but I am proud of us for sticking with it. I now have a little kiddo who is eager to return to the classroom. Change was hard but, especially in this situation, it was definitely worth it.

In June I dropped Robby and Scott off at the airport as they embarked on their European adventure. When I picked them up nearly 2 weeks later, they were both transformed. Experiencing other cultures, immersing themselves in history and sharing so many inside memories and jokes strengthened their bond and changed the tone of their relationship. 

I would be dishonest if I didn't admit that I am envious of their banter. It seems that they can relate the most mundane happening to something memorable in Europe. I have come to accept that European trip stories are going to be shared around my table for decades.

While 2022 brought change and adventure, it also served detours and heartache. In September my brother became an above knee amputee. I still develop a lump in my throat whenever I write or speak those words. His health is stable but his struggle remains profound. With addiction at the helm of every aspect of his life, his adjustment and his ability to adapt his life to accommodate a new disability has been severely compromised. 

Reflecting on the past 12 months, I am looking ahead with an odd mixture of excitement and dread. I know that worrying and fretting are fruitless, but my anxiety is running high when I anticipate the changes ahead. Hopefully 2023 will prove kind and gracious.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment