About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, December 30, 2022

Photo Proof

When I was pregnant with Robby I remember losing sleep worrying about how my child would feel about his disabled mother. My main concern was my amputation causing embarrassing for him as he grew up. Although he wasn't even yet born, I was already anxious and fretting about his teen years. Would he want me to hide my disability? I remember feeling so overwhelmed because I couldn't predict the future.

17 years have flown by since those sleepless pregnant nights. If I could go back in time, I would pat myself on the head and tell worried me to go back to sleep because everything will be okay. Typical to my fashion, I worried more than necessary. For both of my boys, my 'disability' has become a part of the fabric of our family which requires no excuses or explanations. 

Robby has been taking a photo manipulation course in school this semester. As a project he was tasked with taking a photo of an individual and manipulating it with words that he associates with that individual. I had no idea what he was doing when he asked me to pose for a photo, but I obliged because he asked. I was overwhelmed and brought to tears when he showed me his completed project.

I know that this blog has established a reach beyond a single days post. If you are reading this and you are currently, or are considering becoming a parent, know that what I feared my kids would view as weakness they actually see as strength. How do I know?  Because I now have the photographic evidence.



No comments:

Post a Comment