About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Quick Mud

I had my own little Tough Mudder yesterday, although I was woefully unprepared for the event.

While trying to help Timmy, who is much smaller and adept at hopping over or under obstacles, I had to scale fallen trees and traverse through downed limbs and thickets. He had no problem maneuvering over and around the forest obstacles, but it was not nearly as easy for me. I thought it might be easier to just walk through the stream so I decided to sacrifice a dry foot (I don't care if the prosthetic foot is wet because I can't feel it) and I hopped into the stream. 

WRONG decision!

With my third step off the rocky shore I ended up in quick mud. I tried to walk and my prosthetic was lodged in the mud. I held onto the side and pulled it up as I tried to walk. Despite my efforts, I ended up sinking to the trim line of my socket in the deep and squishy mud. My other leg then began to sink, knocking me off kilter and pushing me into the water. Thankfully a rock to my ribs broke my fall as I contorted on the way down in an attempt to save my cell phone from a watery grave.

After several frantic moments, I was finally able to dig out and break the mud seal around my leg, allowing me to pull it out. I threw it onto the bank and commando crawled out of the stream, through the mud, and under the thicket bushes until I was finally to a clear area to stand and re-don my leg. Every inch caused something to be cut or scraped. By the time I was in a clearance I looked like a bloody mud monster. I broke down and sobbed before pulling myself together (literally).

I struggled to get my leg on, but after a few attempts I was finally able to walk. Of course, the suspension system was lousy after being covered with mud, so I had to walk up from the stream trying to hold my leg on while maneuvering our very specific path. Each step was just another source of misery.

Every single part of me is sore this morning and I have cuts all over my scalp. Yesterday was my first experience with quick mud. I would not recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment