About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, March 24, 2023

8 years.

Every movement yesterday was a painful reminder of my misadventures in quick mud. My body was sore from the activity and the multiple cuts and scrapes that I earned orienteering through the thickets. Each time I moved I felt twangs of pains and discomfort surge through my legs and torso. I am either out of shape or old. Perhaps my pain was an uncomfortable marriage of both age and ability. 

I spent most of the day working and trying to keep everything running smoothly. In the evening we went on a family bike ride, trying to take advantage of the weather while working out some of the kinks in my leg muscles. It was nice just spending some time rolling through the neighborhood with the kids and Scott. Timmy has become quite skilled on his little electric scooter!

This morning I woke knowing that it was going to be an emotional day. 8 years ago today my Dad passed away. I miss him and I can't help but think about how much he has missed by dying too early. Pancreatic Cancer is horrific.

The older kids have some memories of their Candy Papaw, although most of them have been bolstered through stories shared. I try to keep him alive as much as possible because the thought of them not having memories of him hurts. Timmy, who has no true memories of his Candy Papaw, is so familiar with the stories that he speaks as if he remembers him. 

I asked Robby to light the memorial candle before he went to bed at night. I was overwhelmed when I heard him playing the Jewish Prayer for Mourning on his phone as he was lighting the wick for his Candy Papaw. I know my Dad would have been touched by this gesture. My goodness I wish he was still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment