About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, March 20, 2023

Magic Maker

This year I completely bonked on our Saint Patrick's Day traditions. I woke up and decorated Timmy's room for the holiday, but we failed to make our traditional leprechaun trap. I had hoped that he forgot but his classmates leprechaun trap failures that morning was the reminder I dreaded. 

Somehow, I managed to convince him that leprechauns come on both Saint Patrick's Day eve and on the night proper so we still had an opportunity to try to catch the little bugger.  Eventually Timmy was able to turn the situation around in his head so that he had the advantage. Surely the leprechauns were tired from all of the visiting the night before and the partying of the day so they would be easier to catch. I liked that logic so I decided to embrace it. Yes Timmy. Drunk leprechauns are easier to catch.

Friday night Scott, Timmy and Robby all worked to create a trap that would surely be successful. Lined with a glue trap and baited with cookies and gold dust over a trap door, the boys set it out before bed.  I made a mental note to wake up early to flip the trap and create a leprechaun mess. (Ironically, having a 'lived in' home helps because I don't have to work too hard to create the leprechaun chaos.) 

I woke up Saturday morning, took one step into the hallway and my jaw dropped. Toilet paper was strewn down the hallway.  The living room was a mess and the trap was triggered with a dollar and some coins were scattered around it. The toilet water was even dyed green!  

In the middle of the night, without prompting, Robby decided to assume the role of Magic Maker. Without my asking he recreated the trap traditions to perfection simply to make his little brother happy. I was oddly overwhelmed with emotion and pride. By making one simple mess in the living room, Robby provided me a glimpse into the type of father/uncle/friend that he will be one day. 

He is a Magic Maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment