About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, October 13, 2023

Television Images

 The decision to stop watching the news was made for me by Timmy.  Last night the news was on and I had to leave the room to help Scott with something.  I didn't have a second thought about walking away from the television and I was gone for about five minutes. I would have been gone for longer but I heard Timmy screaming and I went running to me.

I found him on the couch, staring at the television with horror. I quickly shooed him out of the room, hugged him and tried to get him to tell me what he saw. When it became clear that he wasn't going to be able to completely describe the scene I left him with Robby (Scott is sick) and returned to rewind and watch the segment myself.  

I cannot blame him for screaming! I had no idea that the images that were shown would become increasingly graphic as the night went on. I will spare the graphic details, but I know that Timmy will never forget seeing that murdered little baby.  

My heart broke for him because I know how difficult it will be to process that image. When I was his age I saw a suicide live on television. I was home for a snow day and the government official called a press conference in the middle of the afternoon. I was watching The Price is Right when the show was interrupted for a news conference. About 30 seconds into the conference the man pulled out a gun, put it in his mouth and pulled the trigger. I can still see the reel in my mind.

I know that Timmy will never forget that little baby. He was nearly inconsolable and terribly confused by the war. I am not going to risk him seeing those images going forward, so from now on I'll have to get my news when he is asleep or out of the house.  


No comments:

Post a Comment