About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, August 06, 2024

Getting Ready

 With the calendar turning last week, all attention has shifted towards Robby. Much like me, he is afraid of change. He leaves for college in about two weeks and to describe him as scared would do a disservice. Per his request, we have kept collegiate talk to a minimum until August. Now that the month has arrived, there he can no longer avoid the topic. 

He is petrified, excited, and anxious all jumbled together. I look into his eyes and I can feel his fear.  I remember being nearly paralyzed with fear as I readied for college. Despite being scared, I also knew that it was the right move to make. I understand his terror, but I also have the perspective of knowing that he is going to be okay.

Yesterday Robby discovered his roommate assignment deep in an email system he didn't know existed. I suspect that his assigned roommate is in a similar situation and perhaps does not know that Residence Life is already communicating through campus email. (In that vein they will be completely compatible!) We are encouraging Robby to text his new roommate, but he is apprehensive to make the first move. I'm uncertain about how much to push him, but it would be nice to know if we need to bring a refrigerator and microwave.


No comments:

Post a Comment