About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Injection Woes

Yesterday morning I squeezed into my leg, still a painful,feat, and took both boys to the pediatrician. My leg felt squished and sore and I knew I would not be able to wear it for long. Activating my "suck it up mode," I was determined to keep it on for as long as possible.

Although necessary, I knew that the pediatrician visit would be anything but relaxing. Robby was scheduled for his yearly physical and, unbeknownst to him, an injection. Timmy was scheduled to receive yet another one of the seemingly endless vaccinations recommended (and many times required) for babies.  Knowing that both boys were going to be receiving shots, I prepared myself for a stressful morning by indulging in an extra cup of coffee while wishing I had a cupcake. 

Robby’s physical went well although the pediatrician did notice a problem with his right ear.  My little guy has been complaining about pain and unexplained noises coming from this ear, so I wasn’t surprised to learn that there was an issue.  The tube, which was placed in October, was being pushed out of place by scar tissue. I don’t know the treatment for this issue, but I do know that I am again in the all-too-familiar position of waiting for the specialist’s office to return my call so that I can schedule an appointment.  When did doctors’ offices stop actually answering their phones?

After the examination, Robby begrudgingly sat on my lap in preparation for his shot. The past few months he has taken a slightly sadistic pleasure in watching Timmy receive a myriad of injections. Now the tables were turned, and the needle was intended for him. I braced myself for the worst, fully expecting to become reacquainted with Robby Rotten.

My brave little Koopa didn’t even flinch. After the band-aid was applied, he hopped off my lap and proclaimed that it was “easy peasy.”Apparently the finger puppet he earned from the doctor made the needle worth it.

Timmy received his injections without much fuss, and before I knew it, we were on our way home. I was proud of my two boys, and was looking forward to a relaxing afternoon. Unfortunately I breathed my sigh of relief prematurely. It turns out that the needle was the least of the issues with Timmy’s injections.

Timmy was nearly inconsolable by mid-afternoon. He was running a fever, refusing to eat, and agitated. I spent the entire day, and much of the night, holding and repetitively rocking him. The cause of his distress was different, but the outcome was the same. My little baby was miserable!

I was up rocking him until 4:00 AM, at which point I woke Scott to take over. By that point Timmy was finally asleep and I knew that if I didn’t get some rest, I would be useless today. I’m hoping that the worst of the reaction is over and that my pleasant and happy baby will return today. If not, it is going to be a long day (again)!

BTW-- This is what you look like after staying up ALL NIGHT long with a fussy infant.  Perhaps the best birth control warning ever?

1 comment:

  1. Peggy,

    I had typed out a long comment, complete with checking for spelling errors and one wrong key stroke, IT IS GONE!

    I just wanted to comment that I think you are one of those special people in the world that just makes the world a better place. You amaze me in so many ways as a human being. I love the things that come from Robby's mouth and his compassion for people. I will end it there so I don't make a fool out of myself, but please know that you inspire me in so many ways.

    From just one internet stranger,