About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Piratical Adventure and Koopa Reunion

Turtle Internship is in full swing, and from all accounts Robby is having a fantastic time. He is truly in his element, walking the beach each night trying to protect all of the turtles. On Sunday night he was even lucky enough to see two turtle mommas come to shore to lay eggs. He was so excited as he recounted the scene that he was difficult to understand.  

He is loving everything about his internship with one glaring exception. He is not happy sleeping at the rescue center. Each day he calls both Scott and me, asking to spend the night at the hotel. If he had a valid reason we would accommodate his request, but he is simply homesick. As hard as it is for me, I'm encouraging him to stay with the other interns. Staying at the center is part of the experience. This is his first time sleeping away from us, so he is having a difficult time adjusting. I'm hoping that by the end of the week he is completely comfortable.  

With Robby away with the turtles, Timmy has been basking in the attention of being the only child. Yesterday we went on the Pirate Adventure cruise. He loved getting geared up and fighting the other pirates with water cannons. His smile and gleeful waving at every boat we passed while on the cruise was contagious. 

Late last night Robby sent me a text that he was guarding a nearby next. I threw on my dress and ran out the door to greet him. It was great seeing my Koopa, even if the reunion was brief because he was working. I was able to watch him in action for a few minutes and was left in awe. He demonstrated a confidence and a poise that so far has been untapped.  I'm so incredibly proud of him!

I don't know what we are doing today, but I know that Hamlet will have fun. My little adventurer seems to have fun regardless of the activity or the setting. So far this has been a fantastic vacation.




No comments:

Post a Comment