About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Socket Woes

With my primary socket being repaired in San Francisco, I've been relegated to using my back-up. Although it fits, it is not nearly as comfortable as the one that broke. Of course, the comfortable one broke and my conventional has never failed, so I suppose there is always a trade-off.  

The comfort from adjustment comes with the risk of failure, which can be both scary and dangerous. I don't like falling!  I don't know how I will be able to overcome my insecurities and fully develop socket trust after the tumble. I miss the comfort though, so I'm going to give it another try when it is returned.

My back-up socket is comprised of only carbon fiber. While the design is rigid and unyielding, it is nearly indestructible. I have never worried about the socket breaking and failing, but its constant use has created a number of skin issues in the past. Since I am relying on it every day, I find that I am more aware of my prosthesis because of the cramping and discomfort that arises when I walk longer distances.  

My limb aches more in the evening, which I know is attributed to the socket. But I realize that I am still able to walk and keep up with Timmy's activities, so I am fortunate. At least I have a prosthesis to use! Too many amputees in this country are still struggling to come up with the funds to buy their first device so that they can experience ambulation again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment