About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I thought today was going to be a bad day...

I woke up this morning, put my leg on, and went and got a cup of coffee. This has been my routine since becoming a stay at home mommy nearly three years ago. After my first 4 steps, I decided that today was going to be what I refer to as a "bad leg day."

Due to fluctuations in volume, especially because of the weight loss but also because of the nature of all prosthetics, sometimes there are days when they just don't fit correctly. This causes discomfort, increased fatigue and stresses on my knees, hips and shoulders. This morning, when I was walking out for my coffee, I decided that today must be one of those days.

My leg just wasn't fitting right. I couldn't get comfortable, and it felt like I was being pinched mid stump. I hate being an amputee on days like this, when I really feel disabled because of a bad feeling socket. Yes, I decided today was going to be a bad day.

I hobbled back into bed, and grumbled about hating my leg. I took it off, and my day instantly went from being lousy to wonderfully comical. I looked inside my socket, and found a little micro car. One of my little boy's prized toys. Apparently, Mommy's leg is not only great for walking, but makes a fantastic hiding spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment