About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, November 06, 2009

Football Madness...

I am dreading this Saturday--not because more football will be endlessly played on my television; I am used to this. I am dreading this Saturday because, in terms of our family rivalry, it doesn't get more personal. Ohio State will be playing Penn State.

Scott is a steadfast Buckeye fan. He demonstrates the kind of dedication that only sports can elicit in a man. He religiously reads message boards and forums. He studies the players statistics as well as possible trends. For him, Buckeye football is not a game; it is a way of life. In fact, when Robby was born Scott desperately wanted to name him Brutus. I vetoed his choice.

I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. Being a Nittany Lion fan was a part of my upbringing. My mom and dad both graduated from Penn State. I went to sleep as a little girl hugging my stuffed Lion.

This Saturday, our two teams collide. Scott has already been gearing up for the clash. Instead of "Good morning," I've been greeted with "You're going down, Lion girl." To which I retort, "Oh, I'm afraid of the Buckeye. Useless nut, I'm shaking..." For now the jabs are good natured.

Saturday morning, this will change. Every Saturday during football season I dutifully dress Robby in his Ohio State shirt. That will change this week. This Saturday, he will be wearing a Penn State jersey.

Brutus and the Lion have been set up in our yard in anticipation of the epic battle. Friends will be coming to our house for our annual football party. I will make the traditional Joe Perogies (and yes, I do dye them blue) and Buckeye balls. If history is any indication, that is where the lightheartedness will stop.

The difference between Scott and myself, and perhaps between men and women, is that I never forget that it is a game. Scott takes it personally, as if he were on the field playing, and the failure of his team (and don't mistake me, they will fail) is a personal failing. He is so miserable to live with after Ohio State loses to Penn State that part of me, in my deepest recesses of my mind, actually hopes that the Buckeyes win.

Yes, Scott is a lot of wonderful things. He is a loving and dedicated husband and father. He is funny and quirky. He is NOT a good sport. He really needs to improve his sportsmanship. After all, when it comes to playing Penn State, Ohio State really doesn't have a chance. WE ARE... PENN STATE.

No comments:

Post a Comment