About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Attention Television Executives...

Robby has been delighted with the Christmas season. To him, the "abracadabra" lights decorating buildings and yards are simply magical. He loves baking cookies and decorating his tree. One of his favorite holiday perks has been his later bedtime.

I tend to be strict when it comes to Robby's bedtime. I like to put him in bed between 8:00 and 8:15. By the time 8:00 rolls around, I am exhausted and ready for a reprieve. Unfortunately, the executives at the major television networks must have later bedtimes for their children. The Christmas classic cartoons are not shown until 8:00.

By the time the "classic cartoon" is shown, I am exhausted. All I want to do is take my leg off, crawl into bed and relax. Now I am forced to contend with a toddler who is antsy because he is tired but excited to be allowed up past his bedtime.

We have all of the classics on DVD, and Robby has been watching them constantly. I suppose there is something special about cartoon being shown on television. In reality, it is more nostalgia for me. I remember the excitement as the holiday cartoons started to be shown on television. It was a very big deal in our family!

I can't be a Grinch. I have to let him stay awake to watch the show. I certainly don't want to deprive him of the childhood rite of passage! So we pop our popcorn, curl into bed and watch the cartoon.

I am a little worried that Robby is getting used to the later bedtime. Hopefully this is a habit I can undo after the holidays are over. In the meantime, I have been indulging in an extra cup of coffee (or two) in the morning. After all, I am in my 30's, but I admit I still get excited when Charlie Brown's Christmas is on television!

No comments:

Post a Comment