About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, January 08, 2010

Skechers--$100. Walking "normal" --Priceless


I am now the proud owner of $100 shoes. Yes, I bought a pair of Skechers Shape Ups. Okay, actually my Dad bought them for me. Thank you, Dad!

For the first time since March 11, 1997, (the date of the accident which eventually resulted in my amputation) I feel as if I am walking like a "normal" limbed individual. I don't feel the the prosthetic jarring that was accepted as one of those amputee things. My limp has been eliminated and I am walking with equal weight between my prosthetic and sound sides.

After some research I learned that the earliest prosthetics were designed to utilize a rocker principle. Amputees were given a rod and a rocker style foot to compensate for the lack of ankle motility. It is interesting that advances in technology have caused this simple idea to virtually fall away, replaced by gyros, springs and computerized parts.

I never imagined that a shoe could make such a difference! I know that this foot wear was designed to promote weight loss. I hope that the company will consider testing these shoes with other amputees. I think a lot of lives will be enriched. For me, the combination of computerized technology and old school ideas have yielded results which are priceless.

I am going to put the shoes through their paces over the weekend. I also plan on trying them out with my Veriflex to compare the results. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. You are most welcome Peggy. Your Dad couldn't me more proud of you.

    ReplyDelete