About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, January 25, 2010

We'll Miss You Candy Pap-Paw

Although my Dad technically lives in Austin, Texas, he has been residing in my basement for the past nine years. In 2001 he accepted a position with an agency based in Washington, DC. He phoned and asked if he could stay with me until he could find a place. He has since claimed squatters rights.

Robby adores his "Candy Pap-Paw." Although he lives in the basement, we don't see him a lot. He travels for his work and returns to Texas every weekend. When he is in town, he works long hours. We are all asleep by the time he comes home, and he leaves for work before we wake up. Nevertheless, Robby is thrilled when his Candy Pap-Paw walks up the stairs.

After 9 years, my Dad has recently accepted a new job which will necessitate his return to Texas full-time. I am going to miss him. I have become accustomed to preparing him a plate after dinner and tucking it in the refrigerator for him to eat when he came home late from work. We are going to have a lot more leftovers with him gone.

Robby is going to feel the absence of his Candy Pap-Paw. They have become buddies, playing games with rules only understood by the two of them. When my Dad comes home, Robby immediately ushers him into his bedroom and closes the door. I hear squeals of laughter coming from behind the door, but my entry is refused.

Candy Pap-Paw is special. He takes Robby out for ice cream and doesn't make him change out of his pajamas! He bought Robby a motorized car and a wagon. It is amazing how such a small boy can have such an imposing figure wrapped around his little finger. Their relationship is special.

A few days ago, Candy Pap-Paw did something for Robby that has elevated him to hero status in the eyes of a three year old. He took Robby to the pet store and bought him a fish. Not just any fish, but a blue fish! My little animal lover could not be happier. Meet the newest member of the family, Blue Fishy Chenoweth.

Although Candy Pap-Paw is moving back to Texas, we have been assured that he will continue to visit. He will be returning to the DC area for work frequently, and has requested the use of our pull-out couch. He is keeping his key because he can always "squat" at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment