About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Chicago Bound...

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go. Well, not quite yet. But packing is definitely on my "to do" list! I am thrilled that I am going to the AOPA Conference (American Orthotic and Prosthetic Association) in Chicago.

Ossur, the manufacturer of my Proprio ankle, has asked me to discuss my experiences with practitioners and other amputees. I am able to provide a user perspective on the technology as well as relay my story with the device. If there is anything you'd like me to pass along to the developers of these prosthetic devices, let me know. I will have the ear of many innovators who are constantly seeking feedback and new ideas.

I am looking forward to the conference for several reasons. I love meeting amputees and individuals who work within the prosthetic field. I am fascinated by the stories which are shared and the life changing technology improving lives. Little energizes me more than feeling that I have been able to help another through their journey.

I am going to miss Robby and Scott, but I know that these short trips actually make me a better Mommy. I relish the adult discussions. It is nice to know that I am still able to maintain a conversation about topics beyond childcare and cooking. I am afforded the opportunity to "stretch my cerebral wings" so to speak, and I enjoy every moment.

Because my opportunities to travel are rare, I still approach the whole experience as an adventure. Hotel rooms are still fun, and eating out is a luxury. I feel spoiled on these business trips. I don't have to cook, clean or make my bed. I am the antithesis of the road weary business traveler.

I worry about Robby although I know that he is in good hands with his Nana. To be honest, I worry a little more about Nana! Robby Rotten has been rearing his head a lot more lately. I am afraid she is going to have her hands full.

I leave on Tuesday, so I will spend this weekend packing and getting ready. I need to get a haircut so that I don't look so shaggy. I'll be shaking a lot of hands, so I should probably get a manicure. At least, that is my justification!

I will be working in the Ossur booth, so if you are going to the conference or know that your prosthetist is attending, please stop by and say hello! There is always a lot of down time in the conference booth, and I'm always eager to see a smiling face and meet a new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment