About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bringing on Middle Age

Well, as of today I am officially 36. Wow, that is hard for me to wrap my head around. I realize that 36 is not old, but I am certainly no longer young. Much to my chagrin I am, by all accounts, officially middle aged. I am not happy about this!

The strange thing is that I don't feel middle aged. In many ways I am stronger now than I was in my twenties. I am able to ride by bike 40 miles at a time. I can keep up and run with the toddlers on the playground where I have noticed parents half my age are sitting. I am training for my first running race. I am in the best shape of my life.

My age comes shining through when it comes to my knowledge of contemporary entertainment. I don't understand The Hills, nor do I particularly care to try. I no longer know half of the actors who appear on talk shows, and I don't comprehend the lyrics to most songs.

I can name all of the characters on The Backyardigans. I can also sing the theme songs to most Nick Jr. shows. But I don't know what Little Bow-Wow does, or if there is a Bow-Wow Senior, but I have seen him appear on the Today Show. I had to Google Lady Gaga so that I could understand a reference on Facebook.

Physically I feel young. From the social entertainment perspective, I am old. No, I'm not watching The Lawrence Welk show, but I do love The Waltons. I suppose, by modern standards, John Boy Walton is one step away from the bubbles and big band orchestra of my grandfather's generation.

Today is my birthday. It is a day for me to celebrate my accomplishments and to reformulate my dreams and goals. I am strong, happy and celebrity inept. I am hoping to increase my strength in the coming year, but I have little hope of identifying the celebrities in People Magazine.

1 comment:

  1. Peggy,
    Happy Birthday! Ahhh to be so young as 36, I would love to be there again but only with the knowledge I have gained in the 20 years since! As for the cultural knowledge, a few thoughts - you are a product of your age, your child's age and family age. I was an english major in college and went from reading James Joyce's Ulysses to Dr. Zeuss' Red Fish Blue Fish, from listening to Jethro Tull and Bob Dylan to Raffi as I started a family. That will change as you and your son get older and he becomes interested in different things. I still listen to great music, thanks to my two now young adult kids. I look to them for books and movie recommendations and new and upcoming internet ideas and technologies. I really do love the relationship I have with them and cherish not only Raffi for his time but Fort Minor (rap group) for theirs too. I know it has been a theme in some of the blog posts I have made about preparing for retirement etc. If you have a spare momement (LOL) I would be happy if you read a couple things I have written related to this sort of thing. http://penguindroppings.blogspot.com/2010/03/come-episode-8-slash-and-burn.html, http://penguindroppings.blogspot.com/2010/03/chronicles-of-mass-exodus-episode-5.html, http://penguindroppings.blogspot.com/2010/03/chronicles-of-mass-exodus-episode-4.html are a couple of apropos ones. Again Happy Birthday, hope you get lots of nice hugs!
    Pat Hulser

    ReplyDelete