About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Why I Don't Relax....

It seems that everything has been moving at an uncomfortably fast pace lately. I feel as if I've been bouncing along my "to do" list, focusing all of my energy on the next project. As a family, we were in desperate need of some down time, to just relax and do nothing at all.

This past weekend we took full advantage of having nothing pressing to do. Robby and I spent Friday afternoon preparing for our "firefly party." The good thing about a four year old-- anything can become a party. It didn't seem to phase him that he and I were the only "guests."

Armed with bug boxes to hold our new friends and light sticks to help us see in case we got lost (Robby's idea), we started our quest. We found a few firefly bugs in our yard, but I noticed that our neighbor, Mr. Bill, had a lot more flying through his yard. I immediately remembered that, in an effort to get rid of mosquitoes and ticks, I sprayed for bugs earlier this Spring. Apparently I managed to eradicate most of the lightening bugs as well.

Mr. Bill is a wonderful neighbor and absolutely adores Robby. He invited Robby to hunt for the bugs in his yard. After 45 minutes of bug hunting fun, the bug box was full and glowing. We ate our ice cream and called it a night.

Saturday was spent running errands and watching the World Cup. I find it odd that Scott demonstrates a devoted interest in soccer only every four years, but I have accepted the fact that he will watch anything as long as it is a sport. Saturday evening we went out hunting for more bugs.

By Sunday I was quickly becoming bored with our weekend of doing nothing. I convinced Scott and Robby to accompany me on a blueberry picking expedition where we gathered nearly 10 pounds. I love blueberries!

While the boys were watching more sports on television, I set out to finish painting our downstairs rec room. I am not a particularly talented painter, but I must admit that it looks great. The walls are now a beautiful blue, as well as my hair, my arms, my prosthetic and two footprints on the carpet.

So much time spent "relaxing" forced me to look closely at the state of my house. It is, without a doubt, a wreck. I need to conduct a thorough cleaning, scrubbing baseboards and throwing away junk. With so many activities lately, the house has certainly fallen apart.

I'm feeling overwhelmed, but I have devised a plan. I'm going to start downstairs in one corner. Armed with trash bags and a bottle of cleanser, I am going to make sure that this house will be uncluttered, clean and organized. It is going to take me all week, and I know that I'll be tired. I guess it's a good thing that I was able to rest this weekend because I don't foresee sitting down in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. I once belonged to a site which my brain can't seem to remember at this time, that had something to do with a ladybug. It was a great at helping me organize and clean. The main trick was to clean a certain room each day and get rid of clutter. You weren't supposed to do anymore than that one room on that one day so you wouldn't get exhausted and overwhelmed and it wouldn't cause you to stop. The very first step was to clean your sink. A simple one, but when your kitchen sink is shinny and clean, it becomes obvious that your counter needs cleaning... Good luck with your cleaning, mine will be on hold for the summer (deep cleaning)with my four on summer break, it will be impossible lol

    ReplyDelete