About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Energized

Well, I have finally arrived in Missouri, albeit nearly four hours past my anticipated arrival time. Regardless, the flight was relatively non-eventful (with the exception of delays) and my fears about getting cleared through security did not materialize. I dub my first travel experience post "humiliation" successful.

Yesterday was tiring despite the fact that all I did was sit and wait. I arrived at the airport 90 minutes before my departure time only to learn that my flight was delayed by 30 minutes. That time quickly increased until I was two hours delayed.

Most of the passengers were irritable and vocal about the delay. To be honest, I didn't really mind waiting. I am so rarely afforded the opportunity just to sit and read that, for me, being delayed was a bit of a luxury. Sure, I would have preferred to be sitting in my comfy hotel room, but since that was not an option, I certainly wasn't going to ruin my "me time" by complaining and lamenting something which was out of my control.

I took full advantage of my time alone in the airport. I found the Ben and Jerry's ice cream stand on the terminal map and set out on a quest. I was in desperate need for some Super New York Fudge Brownie ice cream, and several long corridors were not going to get in my way. After all, calories on a business trip don't count, right?

I settled into a corner near my gate so that I could listen for announcements about my flight. I began to happily eat my gi-normous ice cream cone loaded with chocolate-y goodness while reading a quasi-trashy novel on my Nook reader. I didn't have to share my treat with an ice cream hogging pre-schooler. Nor did I have to read The Crack in the Track for the 200th time. I carved out my own piece of Mommy utopia in the middle of a crowded airport.

Last night I enjoyed the luxury of room service as I relished the fact that I didn't have to wash the dishes. The meal was good, but just about anything is good as long as I'm not the one cooking it. The dessert however, my "treat," may have been the best thing I've ever eaten. I never thought that I could like something more than chocolate cake but then I tried "Gooey Butter Shortcake." It was topped with fresh berries so I am hoping that increases the nutritional value somewhat. Again, calories don't count when they are eaten on a business trip, at least that is what I kept telling myself as I practically licked the delicious crumbs from the plate.

I took a long bubble bath and nobody was knocking on the door pleading for me to come out. I was able to watch Big Brother and the Food Network without my shows being interrupted so that a score or the weather could be checked. I slept in a huge bed and I didn't have to fight for the covers.

Today will be a busy day. I will be helping a group of Prosthetists and Physical Therapists learn about bionic devices for amputees. I will be on my feet a lot as I continually demonstrate how my Proprio ankle works, and I will answer a lot of questions. It's going to be a long day, but that is okay because this Mommy feels energized and refreshed from her day of traveling!

No comments:

Post a Comment