About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Off To The City

I am a bundle of nerves as I write this blog. This seems to be a frequent state for me lately, but today I think I am justified. At the request of Ossur I am going into "the city" to receive media training.

Traveling using public transportation is not my forte. In order to reach my media coach, I need to take the commuter train which I have only done once before. Somehow, I doubt that my experience riding the "North Pole Express" is going to help me!

I don't know what to expect, which increases my apprehension. As of now, I'm not sure what "media training" entails or why it is necessary. I do know that I have been asked to participate on a media tour in November taking me to New York City to meet with various members from the press. It's exciting, and scary at the same time!

Yesterday I did my best to stay busy and to ignore the nervous energy that was building. Robby and I played around the house and went outside when it wasn't raining. I saw our neighbor, Mr. Bill, and I told him about the plans for today and my reservations about taking the train.

Robby took off sprinting back to the house when I told him it was time to go inside. He stopped in the flower bed, and picked me a bouquet of chrysanthemum flowers. Proudly presenting them to me, he told me that he loved me and that I was pretty like a whale so I shouldn't be scared. Knowing that my little boy believes in me is empowering. I discretely pinched off the roots that were dangling from the stems of my recently planted flowers, gave him a hug and went inside.

Hopefully my questions will be answered during today's meeting. I am confident that once I know more about their expectations, I will feel more comfortable and less anxious. Of course, I have to navigate the train and find my way to the meeting first!

1 comment: