About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, November 05, 2010

Okay, I'm Venting

I have several amputee friends who are preparing to undergo revision surgeries on their residual limbs in the coming weeks. Since I became an amputee seven years ago, I have had four revision procedures. Unfortunately, the need for surgical repairs is a nasty reality for many of us.

Perhaps I was naive, but I never anticipated the constant monitoring and occasional surgical intervention required because of my amputation. Every night I inspect my limb, checking for blisters, cuts and sores. I am vigilant about keeping my stump as healthy as possible to avoid a potentially serious infection.

Yesterday I spent much of my time on the couch with my leg off. I wish that my relaxation was from choice but, truth be told, it was from necessity. I hurt my leg and was beginning to have some skin breakdown. I knew that, although inconvenient, keeping my leg off as much as possible would avert the need to keep it off for an even longer period of time if the skin condition worsened.

I hate that my friends have to undergo more surgeries. I agree with them when they lament that it just isn't fair! I realize the saying that "life isn't fair" has merit, but sometimes it is little consolation especially when dealing with pain and discomfort.

There is a misconception that once a prosthesis is received and fit, the ramifications of the limb loss evaporate. I wish that simply using a prosthetic would eliminate all of the issues, but that is not the reality. The truth is, that while being an amputee is not the worse thing in the world and I fully acknowledge that others are in a more dire situation than I, being an amputee is not easy!

3 comments:

  1. I am not sure where I first found your blog, but checking in today and reading this post is really helpful. My dh and I are in process to bring home our 5th child from China. Our son is 2.5 and was born with bilateral risidual lower limbs. We get asked all the time if he will be able to use prosthetics. We are taking a wait and see approach. So much to think about. Thanks for sharing the realities. It is so good to hear it straight from someone who knows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you found my blog, and thank you for reading! Congratulations on your newest addition. I look forward to hearing about him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bones will eventually learn to stop making problems.

    ReplyDelete