About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Leg Thief

I love staying home and taking care of Robby. I have never regretted my decision to leave teaching to stay home with him during these formative years. That being said, it is not always easy. To be honest, the past few days I've been envious that Scott gets to leave every morning for work while I'm held captive at home trying to tame Robby Rotten.

Yesterday Robby was beyond hyper. He was into everything, leaving a trail of chaos and havoc as he moved onto a new destruction area when he became bored. I would blame the onset of Robby Rotten on his Halloween candy, but he hasn't eaten any. He doesn't like chocolate (I know, that in and of itself is a tad strange) and he hasn't eaten any of the other treats he received.

I think that his bad behavior is simply because he is testing me. For some reason he thinks that he is going to become the decision maker. He is mistaken, but he refuses to go down without a fight.

Robby's little universe came crumbling down around him yesterday when he hid all of my legs in the trunk of his race car bed. He was caught in the act when, after securing all of my other prosthetics, he frantically began pulling at my leg trying to take it off. When I asked him what he was doing, he told me that "I am hiding your legs so you can't stop me from eating chips."

Standing in my robe, reprimanding and lecturing Robby about why stealing Momom's legs is mean and wrong felt surreal. It would have been a funny conversation to overhear, but it wasn't very comical at the moment. I also knew that it was going to be a long day.

Robby lost use of his train table, two trucks, the chance to watch Billy the Exterminator and the privilege of sleeping with his cat, Charlie because of his behavior. He was tucked into bed early and, to my surprise, fell asleep quickly. I am hopeful that a good night's sleep will help to adjust his behavior. He's taken all my energy, leaving my will power low as I'm staring at his heaping bag of Halloween candy. I did not pick a good time to go on a diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment