About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Ready to Shop!

This week I've changed my fitness routine. Typically I concentrate on aerobic activity, but that is not meeting my impending needs. Instead of worrying about calorie expenditure, I've been focusing on stretching. I need to be limber today, with stealth-like reflexes and the agility of a cat.

Yes, Black Friday is finally here. Thanksgiving evening the newspaper was strewn around the living room floor as we devise our plan of attack. Scott and I are now armed with local maps and the layouts of our favorite stores. Black Friday shopping has become a family sport as we search and body block our way to securing the deal of the year.The Friday after Thanksgiving is the one day of the year where I relish my disabled parking status. As all of my able bodied shopping competitors circle the lots to find a place to park, Scott and I ease into the handicapped spot in front of the door. Easy to get in but, if you are an expert Black Friday shopper like me, you appreciate how quickly I can exit and dash to the next store.

Our competition is steep as hoards of early birds converge to scavenge for their deals. Because of my prosthetic, I am often underestimated. I am not expected to be fast and swift, and I have learned to use this misperception to my advantage. After I race the shoppers through the store, ducking and weaving, people are surprised when they are out maneuvered by an amputee!

For me, Black Friday is as much about the thrill of the chase as it is saving money. Usually, we buy very little, but there is something special about standing in a long line before dawn with hundreds of other bargain hunters as we each vie for position. For my husband and me, the Christmas season hasn't officially begun until we've thrown a few elbows and grabbed a DVD just as someone else is reaching for it. Great sport! I hope you will enjoy your day as much as I will enjoy mine.

On your mark, get set, SHOP!

No comments:

Post a Comment