About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Fateful Encounter

Yesterday I woke up at dawn, prepared to sit and wait for most of the day. I dressed comfortably, opting for an over sized sweater and my black capri style sweat pants. I wasn't exactly making a fashion statement, but being both warm and comfortable were my priorities.

After arriving to the hospital two hours before the procedure time, and waiting nearly 3.5 hours (the doctor was running 90 minutes late) my Mom was finally wheeled into surgery. She was administered a relaxant through her IV as she was being taken into the operating room. By the time I kissed her good-bye she was smiling a goofy broad smile and repeating that she "liked that nurses medicine."

I grabbed my laptop bag, a cup of coffee and settled in for a long day. Sitting in the waiting area, working on my computer, I noticed an older couple staring at me. I smiled and continued working. I heard them begin to whisper about my leg which, until that moment, I didn't realize was noticeable. I suppose am so accustomed to being an amputee that many times I am unaware of when my prosthetic is visible.

In an attempt to thwart the attention so that I could resume my work, I decided to engage the couple in conversation. I had no idea that a simple "hello" would cause the lady to break down into tears. I have always been a believer in fate, and yesterday merely made my belief stronger.

The couple were waiting for their child (Rick, a 22 years old male) to come out of surgery. Apparently Rick had been in a snowmobiling accident earlier this winter and had injured his leg. His wound failed to respond to treatments and he was having his left foot and ankle amputated.

These loving parents were terrified as they were waiting for their son to have his leg amputated. Of all of the places I could have chose to wait in the hospital, I ended up on the couch across from them. They must have been shocked to see an amputee at that precise moment!

I told her about my accident, the surgeries and my ultimate decision to amputate. I focused on the recovery, especially what I felt immediately following the surgery. We talked about prosthetics and how they work. The Dad looked relieved when I popped my leg off and let him examine it.

I spoke with this couple for the duration of their wait. I tried to answer their questions as honestly as possible, and I tried to address concerns that I perhaps they were too polite to ask. Above all, I tried to relay that the journey won't always be easy for Rick, but that he can find life as fulfilling on one leg as he did when he had two. I cautioned them to allow him time to grieve, and to remind him that he is loved and accepted. The pain will initially be intense, but it wanes. I warned the parents to be careful about him becoming dependent upon pain medication. Too many amputees turn to prescription drugs to numb emotional instead of physical pain!

I was with the parents when the surgeon arrived with the news that the surgery was complete. I saw the look on their faces, relief that the procedure was over mingled with the reality that their child is now missing a limb. I gave them a hug and my contact information when they left to be with Rick.

I was thankful that I was able to help somebody yesterday. I was feeling helpless simply sitting and waiting for news on my Mom. In many ways, it is a lot easier being the patient!

On another note, my Mom came through the surgery without complications. The procedure was longer and more involved than anticipated, but she is a trooper! She is comfortable at home, wearing her new pajamas and relaxing with her puppies.

5 comments:

  1. A beautiful post, Peggy. I'm proud of you, and proud to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know what your beliefs are, but I call this "One of those God things." People are put in each other's paths for a reason. You have every right to feel good and proud of yourself for the help you offered these suffering parents. Hopefully, you took some of the suffering away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have goose bumps--I would definatly say that family was visited by an Angel yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, I am a firm believer in fate and I think this moment proves it does exist. Educating one person at a time, how wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have given them the opposite advice about pain medication. People in pain are horrible advocates for themselves and the medical profession is full of scolds who think that amputees are crybabies. Pain is *not* therapeutic and fear of pain can prevent a person from participating fully in learning to walk. It is *very* likely the boy will be in a lot of pain, enough pain to make him apprehensive about walking. This can be treated effectively with Tylenon-free hydrocodone. If the loss of mobility snowballs into weight gain and depression it can be a cascade failure. This is a real threat with real damage and a real solution.

    The amputee crybaby junkie is an unlikely problem, if it is not 100% sawbones fantasy.

    ReplyDelete