About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 04, 2011

Picnic Procrastination

During a visit with my prosthetist in May, I was asked to help organize a picnic for the children who are patients at his practice. We threw around ideas for a few days, and I quickly realized that he didn't particularly care about any of the details. His only request, being able to serve beer and wine to the parents, was going to severely impact our location choice. After discussing the picnic options with Scott, we volunteered to host the picnic at our home. If there is anything that I love, it is throwing a party!

Hosting the picnic sounded like a fantastic idea in May. After all, three months felt like more than enough time to get everything ready. I had a grandiose plan to keep my house and yard impeccable. I knew that readying my home for the picnic would not be a problem.

Summer has been flying by and reality has set in. I have not kept my house spotless. Although it isn't worthy of being featured on "Hoarders," it is cluttered with toys which haven't been put away, clothes piled in corners, spider webs and a lot of dust. Playing in the pool with Robby has monopolized much of my time, providing me with the perfect excuse to avoid cleaning.

Outside our grass is brown and covered with a layer of leaves that have begun to fall because of the heat and lack of rain. The only thing that is bright green are the plentiful weeds. I abandoned my back garden in June when I broke out in a poison ivy rash and saw a snake slither between my peonies. Unfortunately, in May I had envisioned the same snake invested, poison ivy covered back garden to be the location for the picnic!

Now the picnic that was months away is tomorrow. Yesterday, after a brief moment of panic, I dedicated myself to cleaning the house. I worked for 10 hours, but everything is (nearly) sparkling and clean. Robby even got into the action, excited to help me scrub the toilets and mop the floors. Much to his chagrin, he has been banned from his art supplies until after the picnic and has limited access to toys in our bedrooms.

Today, I am firing up the weed-whacker and tackling the yard. I'm hoping that the sound will frighten away the serpents that have taken residence in our weed garden. There is nothing I can do about the grass, but I'm optimistic that colorful lanterns and twinkle lights will provide a much needed pop of color against the dull brown.

Thankfully, I don't have to do a lot of cooking for this picnic because it is being catered. Robby is over the moon that a "ginormous super big" moon bounce is going to be set up in his yard! As soon as the yard is presentable, I know I'll be able to relax and enjoy setting up for the picnic. Until then, I'm cursing my procrastinating ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment