About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Atlanta!

This morning I'll be packing my bag and flying to Atlanta. I've been asked to work in the Ossur booth at the AAOP (American Academy of Orthotics and Prosthetics) conference. While I hate leaving my boys, I have learned to enjoy the "me" time that the solitude of a hotel room, and control over the television remote, affords.

Preparations for previous business trips were easier before Robby was in school. I would simply pack him up and take him to my mom's house. He would enjoy a few days being spoiled by Nana while I was gone. Although it was more work for her, it was certainly easier for me!

This trip, Scott and I found ourselves trying to keep Robby in school while accommodating everybody's schedule. Thankfully our neighbor Mr. Bill will be watching Robby this afternoon until Scott comes home from work. Originally Mr. Bill was going to come over to our house before Scott went to work on Thursday, get Robby ready and drive him to school for us. Unfortunately he is recovering from surgery and Scott and I both felt that asking him to come over at 6 am was simply asking too much.

After much debate, it has been decided that Scott will take leave time on Thursday and Friday, going to work late after dropping Robby off at school. Mr. Bill will pick up Robby on Thursday to save him from the dreaded nap time. Scott will leave work early on Friday, hopefully redeeming himself (Robby still contends that his daddy forgot him at school, forcing him to stay for nap time) and emerging as a hero.

Confused? Although we've been over the schedule numerous times, I've written it down and posted it on the refrigerator. I've also given Bill a copy. They say that it takes a village to raise a child. The truth is, it takes a supportive partner and a fantastic neighbor!

With Robby's care figured out, I am finally able to become excited about my upcoming trip. I'll be in Atlanta for three nights. Three wonderful nights, with the bed to myself, room service at my finger tips, and somebody else responsible for making the bed. I'm looking forward to this Mom-cation, even if I will be working 10 hours a day in an exhibition booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment