About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Roller Coaster Day

Robby had a rough night Sunday into Monday. He vomited on and off throughout the night missing the bowl each time. I felt so helpless with his being so sick. All I could do was hold him, wipe him down, and rock him until he finally relaxed.

His fever finally broke and he fell asleep about 3 AM. He left a pile of odoriferous bedsheets, pajamas, and blankets in his wake. I tried to catch a few hours of sleep before tackling the laundry, a project I knew was going to consume much of my day.


Doing the laundry would not have been nearly as difficult if I had a prosthetic that fit correctly. Although I've been frustrated with my weight loss progress, I have concluded that I must be slimming down because my legs are now all too big. I'm forced to try to pad my limb with a variety of socks in order to fit into my socket.

Unfortunately I can't obtain a comfortable fit, so my walking is both slowed and painful. Hobbling up and down the stairs lugging laundry baskets, I couldn't help but feel sorry for myself. It stinks that I suffer negative consequences when trying to become healthy and lose weight!

It's bad enough that my muscles are sore and I'm always hungry. Now my stump hurts and my leg doesn't fit. I'm trying to remember that this is good for me, but it is hard to remain committed. I was proud of myself for only eating 3 Hershey's Kisses when consoling myself.


Thankfully Robby is on the mend. Robby seemed content spending much of the day on the couch in the living room watching YouTube videos and cartoons. He only became excited and animated once. From his perch on the couch he was in the perfect position to see a giant tree became uprooted in our yard.  Thankfully it missed our house but took out three smaller trees as it fell. The trunk is nearly 5 feet in diameter and the hole is at least 6 feet deep where it uprooted. I can't help but think that the cost of this tree removal is going to sting!


Yesterday felt like a never ending roller coaster of mishaps and setbacks. By the time we were ready to go to sleep I felt a mixture of exhaustion and relief that the day was over. I was relieved to slip off my leg and crawl into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment