About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Summer Space

Spring break is officially over with Scott returning to work and Robby going back to school this morning. The house will be quiet for the first time in over a week. Both boys were sad last night as they set out their clothes for this morning, and I did my best to maintain my solemn composure and to refrain from breaking out into a jig of happiness!

I love having both of them home with me, but I have to admit that I'm delighted to be returning to my routine. I have so many work projects going on right now, I feel like I am in a delicate juggling act to keep all of my responsibilities fulfilled while honoring deadlines and producing quality work. I need time to think, to work, and to write my reports so that I can stay on schedule. None of these come easily when I am constantly interrupted by my 46 and my soon to be 6 year old.

I suppose it is difficult for both of them to fully grasp the concept of "working at home." After all, my flexible schedule allows me to keep up with the household responsibilities without much disruption to their lives. Perhaps my efforts to seamlessly incorporate my work into the family routine is backfiring. I suspect it is time for me to abandon my SuperMommy aspirations because, to be honest, I'm running on empty.

During the past week I've been waking up at 4 AM so that I could get some work completed before the boys woke up. After spending the day cleaning, cooking, working out, playing and being a referee, I'd find myself staying up late just to finish the professional projects I started 15 hours earlier. While I'm glad that Robby and Scott had a relaxing week away from their respective schools, this week has provided me a sneak peak at what my summer might become if I don't make some changes.

This coming weekend I am hoping to set up a dedicated office space although I haven't yet figured out where. I am going to carve out a work schedule for summer months and vacation times so that I don't have to get up before dawn to start working. Perhaps if Scott and Robby see me "going to work" -even if it is just going to a different room- they will realize that I need to be undisturbed. At least, that's the plan for now. If it doesn't work, I may just put locks on the door and wear noise canceling headphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment