About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Play-Off Essay

I have a hard time sitting around and doing nothing. I feel a need, almost a compulsion, to always be busy. Even if the task isn't particularly productive, I feel better being engaged in an activity versus just sitting and watching television. I love to write and spend a lot of time on my computer, either working on this blog or entering various essay contests.

Over the years I have wasted entering Internet essay contests, and I have yet to win a single prize. Last year I learned that my piece detailing why my sister and her family deserved a trip to Disney made it to the final round, but since we never received tickets in the mail, I eventually accepted that I did not win. Undeterred by my lack of success, I continue to write and enter.

A few weeks ago I came across a contest searching for the "Ultimate Hockey Fan." If you know me at all, you would realize that my being considered a hockey fan borders on the absurd. Scott, however, is a die-hard follower and fan of the Washington Capitals. When I saw that the prize was box tickets for a play-off game, I thought it would be fun to enter. I wrote my submission in first person, borrowing the thoughts and actions from my husband. I hit the "send" button and never thought much about it.

In fact, I forgot all about the contest until I received an email from ESPN (the contest sponsors). I was informed that I was a finalist and a phone interview was requested. Somehow, I had convinced the reader that I was the ultimate hockey fan. Who knew I had a knack for fiction!

Scott spent most of Sunday afternoon tutoring me on the intricacies of the sport, concentrating on the Washington Capitals. I learned about the positions, some of the stats and the stories behind many of the players. By the time the phone rang for my interview my mind was on hockey overload.

To my surprise I wasn't asked any questions about the Caps or about the game. We talked about the perception of hockey, why I like the game and how I feel about the players in general. I was surprised about how much I knew, and how much respect I indeed had for the sport. I hung up the phone feeling confident that I completed a strong interview.

Yesterday evening I received a phone call from ESPN. I have been selected as one of the "Ultimate Hockey Fans." This evening a camera crew will be arriving at my home to film my reactions while watching the Capitals game. I suspect I'm going to have to be more animated than my usual demeanor, which includes my toiling on Facebook and giggling at Scott while he prances and paces around the room spewing obscenities at the television.

My reactions to the fast paced action of my new found beloved sport will be included in a piece that will air later in the playoffs. I'll let you know when it is going to be shown. In the meantime, I'm hoping that my acting ability is as strong as my interview skills! I hope Scott appreciates the play-off tickets because this could push me into a whole realm of humiliation. After all, my being on ESPN is the epitome of irony!

No comments:

Post a Comment