About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Knoxville Bound

Today I am packing and heading to the airport for a few days of meetings  in Knoxville, Tennessee. Although I'll miss Robby, I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the evenings of solitude and quiet that this trip will afford me. Who would have thought I needed to travel on a business trip to rest?

I have been so busy during the past three weeks that I only know the day by the projects that are looming. Between Robby's party and Scott's annual Student Luncheon, I've cooked and played hostess for over 100 people since Friday. I love my new ovens, but our time apart during the next few days will be welcome respite!

Traveling is always stressful. I know that Robby will cry and it will break my heart. It is some solace to know that his tears immediately dry when he is treated to ice cream after dropping me off at the airport. I know that he will be okay and that the separation is good for both of us, but it is always difficult saying goodbye. 

Ever since my TSA nightmare a few years ago, I have become a nervous traveler. I'm not worried about turbulence or the plane crashing. I'm fearful of the incompetent security agent!

I am hoping that I am met with a professional TSA representative when I reach security. I am simply too tired to deal with any conflict right now! Although the official screening procedures for an amputee are straight forward and clear, I never know what I will encounter.  Every airport and seemingly every agent has a different set of procedures and rule book that they are following. Not knowing if my screening will be simple or laboriously long is always a source of stress when I fly!

After saying an emotional goodbye and dealing with security, I'm looking forward to reaching my hotel. The thought of being alone, without anybody needing me to fix something or find a missing toy, feels like Utopia. I'm going to order room service (let somebody else handle the cooking for a change), snuggle under the comforter and assert dominion over the remote control. I am in desperate need of this Mom-cation, even if I had to travel for work to get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment