About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Growing Pains

Robby is flourishing in school. Each day I pick him up and he proudly shows me the new words that have been added to his vocabulary ring. I am amazed at how much he has learned in just six weeks!

It has taken awhile and more than a few growing pains, but we are both acclimating to our new schedule. I still miss him while he's away, but I have to admit that the hours between dropping him off and when I pick him up pass quickly. It's been nice being able to work in a quiet house. I get so much more accomplished when I'm not constantly interrupted for a snack, a cartoon or to play Legos. 

Slowly the morning "I don't want to go to school" dramatics have faded. It took me several weeks to realize that the treats I was making to surprise him when he got home from school were causing much of his angst. Robby loves baking me with me. Instead of seeing cookies and cupcakes on the counter as a special treat, he was seeing that I was baking and having fun without him. As soon as I promised that I do nothing fun while he is at school and explained that all I do is work, the going to school hysterics evaporated.

In fact, he is adjusting so well to school that I am having trouble transitioning to the emerging "big boy" mentality. Yesterday, when I dropped him off in his classroom, Robby pulled away when I tried to kiss him goodbye. Instead of our usual embrace, he pulled me into the corner and asked me to not kiss him in front of his friends.

I'm not too proud to admit that his request left me feeling deflated. I drove home and fought back tears as I tried to grasp that my little boy is growing up. I realize that it is normal and expected that he will separate from me. That being said, I don't have to be happy about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment