About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Wal-Mart Chat


In the years since my amputation I have been fortunate enough to participate in several mobility clinics where I picked up tricks and received suggestions from gait experts. I have worked diligently to implement the modifications and, barring socket complications, I have finally achieved a refined and normal gait pattern. When I am wearing pants, the only evidence of my prosthetic is the crease line that always occurs where the socket ends.

My gait was significantly compromised when I fell in November. After the healing process (which seemed to take forever), I have been concentrating on resuming my normal gait pattern. When I was in pain, I naturally modified the way that I walked in an effort to minimize the discomfort I was feeling. Although I'm no longer hurting, I find myself returning to the poor techniques I was relying upon. It's amazing how quickly bad habits can develop!

Yesterday, walking through the aisles of Wal-Mart I concentrated on my walking pattern. I tried to remember and apply every tip I have ever received during my work at the mobility clinics. Needless to say, it took me a long time to make it to the check-out.

The clerk working my line was chatty and, although I typically don't mind talking, I just wanted to check out and leave. He had other ideas and began talking about the weather and the price of oranges. (Incidentally I thought that the orange conversation was an odd choice because I had no orange products in my order.) I smiled and answered his questions, silently hoping he would hurry up so I could leave.

As we were finishing the transaction, he complimented me on my @amputeemommy necklace. I smiled and said thank you. He asked me why I was wearing it, at which point I explained that it was the name of my website. Without missing a beat he said, "I am guessing that you know an amputee then if you have a whole website and necklace." I was a little surprised by his remark, but I kept smiling as I told him that I am an amputee.

The teller and I proceeded to have a lengthy conversation about my being an amputee. He refused to believe that I was using a prosthetic, his rationale being that he saw me walking to his line and I wasn't "gimpin' or nothing." Our conversation turned into a mixture of comedy and annoyance as I tried to convince this stranger that I was missing part of my leg. It wasn't until I pulled up the pants on my jeans to reveal my carbon fiber prosthesis did this young lad accept that I am an amputee.

I have been so self-critical during the past few weeks about my gait. Apparently my limp is not as noticeable as I feared. I walked away from Wal-Mart with a bag full of groceries and a smile on my face! Perhaps I am almost back to my pre-injury self.

1 comment:

  1. it will be very interesting to read tips about impruving a gait pattern...

    ReplyDelete