About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Lounging All Day?

Robby and Scott have been back to school for a week, and I think we are all starting to settle into our new routines. Although both boys continue to grumble each morning, they are adjusting well to the earlier mornings. I am still waking up before dawn, but now it is due to insomnia rather than a need to tackle my work.

I absolutely love working from home. Although Robby is in school all day, I want to remain accessible should a need arise. I am thankful that I found positions which allow the flexibility I need so that I can still be involved in Robby's class. (Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't admit that I relish not having to put on make-up and a bra each day before heading to an office.) I am so lucky to be able to assume the role of room mom in his class.

Each morning I drop Robby at school, drive home, and change into my comfy pants.  I grab all of my computers and phones, pop off my leg and curl up on the couch. I then immerse myself in writing and researching until it is time to pick him up. I venture to say that I am more productive working alone because I am not confronted with the distractions of socializing!

I realize that I have an unorthodox workplace, but the location does not diminish the importance of my projects.  Yesterday a friend made an off-hand comment saying that I am lucky that I can come home and relax on the couch until it is time to pick up Robby. In order to maintain some sense of civility, I stopped myself from responding, "Have a good day at work, drinking free coffee and passing time by playing Farmville." Instead I muttered something nonsensical and walked away.

I assure you that although I am may be on the couch, I am doing anything but relaxing. I am often covered with piles of papers while contending with endless phone calls and emails. Sometimes I feel like I'm juggling so many balls in the air that I should be highlighted in a circus. Despite the frustrations, stress and long hours, I wouldn't have it any other way. I am so lucky to have rewarding jobs with employers who trust me enough to get the work done off-site. Right now, I am at a good place both professionally and personally, even if others perceive me as lounging all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment