About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Work In Progress

Referring to the past few days as hectic certainly does not do justice. Between my work responsibilities, assorted doctors appointments (for both me and Robby), and household stress, I've been in constant motion. I have been looking forward to a brief reprieve from running around when I got my hair cut yesterday.  Driving to the salon I envisioned myself lounging with a magazine, sipping on lemon infused water and being doted upon by my stylist. In reality, I was stuck sitting in an uncomfortable chair drinking tepid water from a paper cup.

I want to be one of those women who thoroughly enjoy the salon experience so I'm always hopeful that I'll relax and relish being pampered. Unfortunately, it doesn't  pan out that way. Instead of feeling spoiled as my hair is being colored and cut, I feel ugly. I can find little attractive when seeing myself with piece of tin foil folded around smelly locks of hair. From the odors to the itchy scalp, I have come to accept that getting my hair done is a necessary evil. I am happy with the end product, but I detest the journey!

I felt a lot of pressure during this salon visit because I'm traveling to New York City this weekend to participate in a music video. I'm still reeling from the invitation, and I am truly honored and excited to participate. Of course the invitation has caused me to become frantic about my appearance. The last image I want to portray is the  frumpy amputee. I'm finding it difficult to feel good about my appearance when I'm fighting near constant nausea. I feel ugly and swollen, but I am doing my best to morph the ugly duckling into a swan. 

Although I failed to reach the zen-inspired relaxation I sought, I did emerge from the salon with a brand new style. It's amazing how changing my hair can transform my whole attitude. Despite being exhausted nearly all the time, I look energized and young. I am glad that I listened to my stylist and let her transform my look. For the first time in several weeks, I actually feel vibrant.

With my hair situation settled, I am moving my attention towards my wardrobe. I'm beginning to show but not enough to warrant maternity clothes. Of course I am not going to let that stop me. It is much easier to mask my figure when wearing a stylish new Mommy-to-be outfit. 

I'm looking forward to this weekend, but I don't have time to relax. In addition to my work meetings and reports, I still need to find the perfect hip concealing, bust accentuating outfit that will complement my new hair. I have a feeling that this shopping trip could take awhile

No comments:

Post a Comment