About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Another Snow Day...

It would certainly be an understatement to say that I was shocked to receive the 5 AM "school is cancelled" telephone call yesterday morning. I watched the news on Tuesday night and fully bought into the confidence exuded by our local weather team. They promised that we had no snow forecast for our region. I believed them.  It turns out that we were both wrong.

We didn't have a lot of snow, but apparently the flurries took everybody by surprise. None of the roads were pre-treated allowing every flake to firmly stick to the roads. By the time the sun rose, the snow event was over leaving a half inch of pretty flakes and scores of happy school children (and teachers) in its wake. 

Both boys were elated with the cancellation of school. Robby quickly dubbed it, "It's a miracle no school have fun and play Xbox in your jammies snow day." After devouring a plate of bacon and pancakes, he set out on his mission of achieving XBox bliss. He was a happy little koopa!

Both Robby and Scott spent the day lounging around the house, basking in the delight of an unexpected day off. I was frequently chastised for being on the computer and not enjoying the snow day. The fact that I work from home and that my obligations were not voided because of snow seemed to be irrelevant.  After all, they had a fun day and expected that I would follow suit.  I'm hopeful that they will eventually come to realize that I am working even though I am home, but I'm not overly optimistic that the revelation will occur anytime soon.

Both boys will return to school today, and I am going to try (again) to get back on schedule. I know that they both love snow days, but this Mom (and wife) desperately needs a break.  If the weatherman leads me astray again and there is another snow day soon, I fear that somebody is going to end up sleeping in the tree house.  I can guarantee it won't be me!

No comments:

Post a Comment