About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sick Day

Sunday afternoon Robby was invited to a play date with his friend down the street. He was so excited to play with his friend that he literally sprinted out of the car to run to her door. About two hours later our door bell rang, and a sick little boy was on the other side.  Apparently while his friend was getting a game from her room, Robby had curled onto the couch, covered himself with a blanket and fell asleep.  Obviously, this is not usual behavior for a play date!

Sunday evening he continued to disintegrate. Between near constant coughing and a fever, he had a difficult night. By the time the sun rose, I had already made the decision that he was not going to school. He was most unhappy when he staggered into the living room and in a raspy voice stated that "his cough had eaten his voice."

Thankfully we have a wonderful pediatrician who was quickly able to fit him into the schedule. After his exam the verdict was rendered. My little guy has bronchitis. I hate seeing him sick, but I did take solace in the fact that his ears were clear of infection. If we had not had the tubes inserted, I have no doubt we would be dealing with bronchitis and double ear infections. (I fully admit that I am grasping for positives, but at this point I'll take what I can get!)

He spent the afternoon curled up on the couch, lifting his head only to ask when his daddy would be home. I tried to get some work done, but I had a difficult time focusing. I felt so helpless listening to his coughing, and although I knew that he would be well again soon, seeing a child sick is always hard. I finally put away the computer and resigned myself to streaming Scooby Doo for the rest of the day. (Spoiler alert- the phantom/ghost/monster is ALWAYS either somebody wearing a mask or an elaborate machine.)

With antibiotics coursing through his body and lots of tender loving care (and a little spoiling), Robby should be well enough to return to school on Wednesday. We are, of course, expecting a major snowstorm so I am not holding my breath about his attending school this week. Thankfully I have more than enough work to keep me busy at home while housebound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment