About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tight Leg

After a laid back Spring Break, both boys will return to school today. Unlike other long breaks where I found myself feeling anxious for the normalcy of my schedule, this morning I am saddened to see them both leave. Although we didn't do anything spectacular, it was nice having them home. I came to rely upon their help throughout the day, and I am a tinge nervous about being by myself again.

I continue to be on "movement restriction" (which is apparently the new term for bed rest), a directive easier to obey when help is readily available. Now that I'm on my own, I will be forced to fend for myself. I know that I'll be okay; I am just not looking forward to it!

As if contending with the leaking amniotic fluid and cramping weren't enough, I am struggling with my prosthesis. The socket is tight making it difficult to don and painful to wear. Although I know that Elliot (my prosthetist) would certainly make the necessary adjustments or build me another socket if need be, I have reservations that a trip to the office would be worth the effort. At this point in the pregnancy, I don't see the swelling in my limb stabilizing any time soon.

Not only is the socket painful to wear, but I am no longer independent when it comes to putting on my liner. The baby bump just doesn't allow me to bend enough to slip it onto my limb. Thankfully, Scott and Robby have been home to help with the liner issue, but with them both away during the day, I am going to be on my own. I know that the solution is keeping the liner on all day which isn't a problem when I'm wearing my leg and comfortable. However, I find wearing the liner without my leg to be uncomfortable and hot. I realize that this is a "suck it up" moment, but it doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment