About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Happy Birthday Robby

Dear Robby Koopa,

Today you are eight years old. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was a scared new mom holding you in my arms for the first time?  I was so scared about being a good mom and although I have become more comfortable in the role, I continue to worry. The years have flown by so quickly that it feels like a blur.

Being your mom is one of the greatest joys in my life, and you are among my proudest achievements.  This year has brought many changes for you, from going to a new school to becoming a big brother.  You are much like me when it comes to change. We don't like it, but we always rise to the occasion and make the best of the situation. I am so proud of how you have accepted and grown into your new roles.

Adjusting to the family growing from a triad to a quartet has been difficult, but I am so proud of you. I find it amazing that a child your age can so aptly put words to your feelings and emotions. Rather than keeping everything inside, you feel comfortable saying, "Momom, I'm feeling jealous today." I hope that you will always find it easy to talk with me about what you are feeling and thinking!

At last count you have over 20 stuffed turtles. Somehow you remember all of their names and how you obtained them, yet you can't remember to bring your lunchbox home from school.

This afternoon I'll be bringing chicken nuggets and a cake to your school for your birthday celebration. I made you a special turtle cake for the occasion and your Daddy bought a pinata to surprise your class. I can't wait to see the smile on your face when I walk into the classroom with chicken nuggets and french fries for your class!

Although I'll be there for the party, I know that your interactions with me will be limited.  You won't be embarrassed. You'll simply be too busy playing with your friends to talk to me. Seeing you play with your peers, and watching your relationships grow warms my heart.  While I miss being your best buddy and playmate, knowing that you are part of a thriving social circle softens the blow.  I continue to be amazed with your confidence in social situations. You are self-assured, kind and compassionate.  These traits are your strengths and will take you far in this world.

One of my fondest memories is of us riding all the slides on vacation in Atlantis. We had so much fun splashing around, telling knock knock jokes and pranking your Dad. You certainly were in your element at the all-you-can-eat buffet, especially the bacon station.!

As much as I want to hit the pause button on your childhood I know it isn't possible. I'm so thankful that I have a heart full of wonderful memories!

I am looking forward to watching you continue to grow and thrive during the next year.  Please know how much we adore you. I love you the moon, and the sun and all the stars in the sky.

Happy Birthday!

Love,
Momom

p.s.  This is the outfit you carefully selected to wear to school.  You insisted that we tack the Ace of Spades in the hatband, just like a real Koopa Cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment