About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Dude.

My Mom came down on Tuesday, providing me with a much needed respite. When she left last week I had hoped that I was recovered enough to be completely independent. It turns out that I was incorrect. I struggled with just about everything, from changing diapers to those all-too-frequent middle of the night feedings. By the time the weekend closed I was running on empty, and it became clear that I needed reinforcements. 

This time my Mom did not come alone; she brought my nephew Jared. Jared is seven years old and is similar to Robby in both personality and interests. Despite their similarities, they haven't had the opportunity to bond and become friends. Family functions are often congested and confusing affairs, allowing for a lot of socialization but very little dedicated playtime. I was glad that the cousins were finally going to have the opportunity to get to know each other. 

Robby has many wonderful traits, but learning and remembering names is not among them. Instead of putting forth the effort to remember the individual's name, he resorts to referring to everybody as "dude."  Jared was at our house for two days, without his siblings, yet Robby still could not remember his name and opted to call him Dude for the entire visit. 

Despite not caring about his name, Robby and Dude had a great visit.  The two cousins quickly became friends, bonding over Plants vs. Zombies, Minecraft and swimming at our pool. Watching Robby play and have fun was the best distraction from my own recovery anxieties. It is impossible to be depressed when you are surrounded by mischievous giggles and the banter between young friends.

My Mom took charge with Timmy, allowing me more time to rest and heal. I slept soundly through both nights, waking up feeling stronger each day. My fever is finally breaking, and my fighting spirit is returning. I am beginning to think that I just needed a little more motherly TLC to hasten my recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment